Children will always be children and will never be able to resist a frozen treat but adults are a bit more reserved when it comes to sweet treats in general. This frozen treat, however, comes in two different color varieties and is made exclusively for adults.
It contains a bit of alcohol (red or white wine) and is the best excuse to eat after a heartful dinner or just because you feel like it. And mind you, it has almost no sugar in it. And since children will want a share too, there is a way to make them alcohol free too!
Red wine variety
- 1 cup red wine (or rosé)
- 1 ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
White wine variety
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup 100% white grape juice (without sugar if possible)
- ¼ peach nectar
Fruits to use ον both types
- 1 lime thinly sliced (without the skin)
- 1 orange thinly sliced (without the skin)
- ½ cup seedless green grapes
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries thinly sliced
For the pops
- 24 small paper cups (3-oz)
- pop sticks
- cling film
- Combine the ingredients for the red wine pops into a sauce pan and slightly heat up for the honey to melt. Set aside and let to cool down.
- Mix the white wine pops ingredients into a separate container.
- Place cups on a tray that fits your freezer and add pieces of different fruits in each one. Fill half of the cups with the red mixture and the rest with the white. NOTE. Do not fill them up to the top. Give the liquid room to freeze.
- Cover all cups with cling film.
- Poke a pop stick through the cling film into each cup.
- Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours or until fully frozen.
- To remove from the cups, remove from the freezer and leave on the side for 1 minute and then peel the paper cup and cling film off.
- Ready to serve!
- The wine you use for the pops does not have to be very expensive but it should be a wine you like to drink.
- For the red wine pops, instead of using 1 tablespoon of honey you can use sweet red wine instead.
- To make children friendly pops, replace red wine with pomegranate juice to make red pops, and instead of the white wine use extra white grape juice.