Kelly has done it again! She has tranformed the original chocolate turtles that contain caramel, to a more delicious version filled with cheesecake instead. Her own turtles are less sticky, less finicky and, for all of us ladies who occassionally try to look after our weight, calorie free! Yes, you heard that right. So, shall we try making these mouth watering cheesecake-chocolate-pecan cute turtles?
MAKES: about 3 dozen rurtles PREP. TIME: 45 min. COOK TIME: 5 min.
- 4 ounces (1/2 of an 8-ounce package) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups semisweet, bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 Tablespoons large flake sea salt
1. In a bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and refrigerate.
3. Combine the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. (Alternately, you can melt the chocolate with the oil in a double boiler.)
4. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate onto the baking sheet, spacing each portion about 2 inches apart. Using the back of the spoon, spread each portion of chocolate out into a circle and then immediately place five pecans on top of the chocolate facing outward to mimic the shape of a turtle.
Transfer the baking sheet to the fridge for 10 minutes until the chocolate has fully hardened.
5. Remove the baking sheet and cheesecake mixture from the fridge. Pipe 2 teaspoons of the cheesecake mixture in the center of each turtle then top the cheesecake with about 2 more teaspoons of melted chocolate so that the cheesecake is fully covered. Sprinkle the tops of each turtle with sea salt then return the pan to the fridge for 20 minutes until the chocolate has fully hardened. If not serving immediately, store the turtles in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can choose a mix of half semisweet chocolate chips and half bittersweet chocolate chips for the perfect balance of sweetness paired with the tangy cheesecake filling.
- If the melted chocolate hardens while waiting for the turtles to chill, simply re-microwave it on 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until it is smooth again.
(Source: Just A Taste)